As the Galapagos Tortoise Center conservation volunteer, you will work with the Galapagos National Park as a member of the staff at the Tortoise Breeding Center. This will include:
Feeding and caring for the tortoises as well as maintaining their enclosures.
Assisting the Park Rangers with zoo-keeping type activities.
Assisting in educating visitors about Giant Tortoises and about the rules and regulations keeping the tortoises safe and the habitats intact.
UN’s Sustainable Development Goals:
Explore the captivating Galapagos Islands, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Immerse yourself in diverse ecosystems and unique wildlife. Discover breathtaking landscapes, from pristine beaches to lush forests. Engage with local communities, learning about their connection to the environment. Dive into clear waters teeming with diverse marine life Capture breathtaking sunsets and landscapes Enjoy a luxurious cruise around the enchanting islands Experience the contrast between tropical and arid ecosystems Learn about the islands' history and conservation efforts
This program is ideal for
Nature enthusiasts and animal lovers with a deep commitment to conservation. Volunteers who thrive on hands-on engagement, possess a nurturing spirit, and are eager to educate others will find their passion well-suited here. A love for wildlife, a sense of responsibility, and a desire to contribute to a meaningful cause are qualities that align perfectly with this rewarding opportunity.
Role and responsibility
- Genuine dedication to animal conservation and the environment.
- Effective communication skills to convey regulations to tourists and to adhere to instructions.
- Proficiency in both independent and team-based work approaches.
- Flexibility in scheduling, and accommodating the dynamic demands of collaborating with a local institution.
- Physical resilience for outdoor tasks, including exposure to the sun, weather elements, and varying temperatures.
- While fluency in English is essential for IOI staff, a grasp of Spanish is advantageous for enhanced community interaction. National Park Rangers have basic English proficiency; bolstering your Spanish skills is recommended for a more immersive experience. Interested in a head start? Inform us about adding a 1 to 2-week Spanish course at the program's outset, and we'll gladly assist in making arrangements.
Volunteering work per day
Volunteer schedules are rooted in a 25-hour weekly dedication, with the option to willingly extend to a standard 40-hour workweek. Normally, activities are slated from Monday to Friday, spanning 7:30 AM to 12:30 PM. However, these timings are subject to flexibility based on the current tasks and priorities.
Age – You must be over 18 years of age when arriving on our project.
Language – You must speak and write English.
Criminal Background Check – This document may be required depending on the placement site.
Education – Must have a minimum of High/Secondary school education.
Documents – A Curriculum Vitae/ Résumé must be attached to your application form.
Time – Your helping hands are required five days a week.
Criminal background check
Yes, volunteers are required to have educational qualifications
You will be accommodated either with one of our thoughtfully chosen host families or in our volunteer housing. While breakfast is not provided in our volunteer housing, you will have access to fully equipped kitchen facilities to meet your needs. Lunch and dinner will be served at a selection of restaurants in the town. Your meal charges will be settled by us at the end of each month based on your signed receipts.
Our host families possess expertise in embracing diverse cultures and international living, facilitating an enriching immersion experience. Your family will offer breakfast and dinner, while lunch will be enjoyed at the aforementioned restaurants.
Food & Beverages
In our volunteer housing, breakfast is not included, but you have access to our fully equipped kitchen facilities to cover your needs. Lunch and dinner is provided at your choice of various restaurants in town. You simply sign for your meal and we’ll settle the bill at the end of the month.
Our host families have experience with outside culture and international living, providing an amazing immersion experience. You will have breakfast and dinner with your family, while lunch is at the above-mentioned restaurants.
|2 weeks||$1932||Equivalent to $138/day|
|3 weeks||$2512||Equivalent to $120/day|
|4 weeks||$3092||Equivalent to $110/day|
|5 weeks||$3572||Equivalent to $102/day|
|6 weeks||$4052||Equivalent to $96/day|
|7 weeks||$4532||Equivalent to $92/day|
|12 weeks||$7232||Equivalent to $86/day|
24/7 in-country support
In-country program orientation
Pre-departure support from your Program Manager
Important things to note
Please note that the above-shown program fees are estimated. IOI - Empowering Galapagos will let you know about the final price during your application process.
The deposit is simply to reserve your volunteer placement. Payments are handled by PayPal, our trusted global payment provider. If you don't have a PayPal account, you can also pay using a credit card.
Final Payment (85%)
Your final payment will be agreed with IOI - Empowering Galapagos during the application process. Common solutions are either via bank transfer or a cash payment at the project site.
Why you should always book with Meaningful Travel?
- Everything’s native.
We connect you with the most local organizations for volunteering experiences submerged in different ways of life and meaningful work for the local ecosystems.
- We’ve always got your back.
You can be assured that no matter what happens, we’re always there for you only a message or call away.
- Refunds are guaranteed.
We give you a 100% refund if your volunteer organisation cancels your program.
- Freedom to Flex.
You’ve changed your mind? No worries. No extra costs for changing your reservations.
- Our services are free of charge.
Our partner organisations only ever charge you for basic utilities and resources like food, transportation, accommodation, or crucial training sessions that may require hiring professionals. And we do not charge you anything at all!
Important Things to Note
- All programs attract a Registration Deposit Fee of 15% of the program cost in addition to the main program fee. This fee is refundable in the event of your booking cancellation by our partner organisation.
- A 5% international banking fee is added at point of payment.
- Additional things to budget for include: Visa, flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check, public transport to and from your placement each day and for returning to the airport when your program finishes.
- Recommended spending money: Volunteers in Ecuador generally find US$100 - US$150 to be sufficient for basic weekly expenses.
During your volunteer stint in the Galapagos, Ecuador, you'll have the opportunity to engage in a variety of enriching free-time activities that complement your experience. Here are some activities you can enjoy:
- Nature Exploration: The Galapagos Islands are a natural wonderland with unique wildlife and stunning landscapes. Use your free time to explore the diverse ecosystems, go for hikes, and observe the endemic species that call these islands home.
- Snorkeling and Scuba Diving: Immerse yourself in the underwater world surrounding the Galapagos Islands. Snorkel or dive to witness incredible marine life, including sea turtles, colorful fish, and even hammerhead sharks.
- Beach Relaxation: Spend leisurely hours on the pristine beaches, soaking up the sun and enjoying the tranquil atmosphere. Play beach volleyball, build sandcastles, or simply unwind with a good book.
- Local Markets and Shops: Visit local markets and shops to discover unique crafts, souvenirs, and artwork that showcase the Galapagos culture and heritage.
- Photography: Capture the breathtaking beauty of the islands through photography. The landscapes, wildlife, and seascapes provide excellent opportunities for aspiring and professional photographers alike.
- Volunteer Community Engagement: Get involved with the local community by participating in cultural exchange activities, community events, and interactions with residents to learn more about their way of life.
- Outdoor Sports: Engage in outdoor activities like kayaking, paddleboarding, and cycling to explore the islands from a different perspective and enjoy some physical activity.
- Sunset Viewing: Witness mesmerizing sunsets over the Pacific Ocean from various vantage points on the islands. The colors and tranquility of these moments are truly unforgettable.
- Educational Talks and Workshops: Participate in educational talks and workshops organized by local organizations or your volunteering program. Learn more about the unique ecology, conservation efforts, and the importance of preserving this remarkable ecosystem.
- Culinary Experiences: Sample local Ecuadorian cuisine and seafood specialties at island restaurants. Embrace the flavors of the region while enjoying the sea breeze.
- Stargazing: Experience the night sky in a whole new way by stargazing on the islands. The lack of light pollution makes for excellent celestial observations.
- Boat Tours: Take advantage of guided boat tours around the islands to spot wildlife, witness volcanic landscapes, and enjoy the open ocean.
Remember, your free time activities can be tailored to your interests and the specific offerings of your volunteer program in the Galapagos. Make the most of your time by embracing the unique opportunities this incredible destination provides.
The amount of any refund will be based on the length of notice given as follows:
More than eight (8) weeks notice – 75%
More than six (6) but less than eight (8) weeks notice – 50%
More than four (4) but less than six (6) weeks notice – 25%
More than two (2) but less than four (4) weeks notice – 10%
Less than two (2) weeks notice – no refund
Reschedule Program Date
Reschedule or switch programs anytime free of cost. Our Felx Option covers it!
- Filling Fast
- Fill Out
Your Volunteering journey simplified
Select a destination & project.
Apply for free.
Directly talk to us & your selected organisation.
Pay a 15% deposit fee to secure your place at the volunteer program.
That’s it! Get ready to volunteer aboard. We’ll support you every step of the way!
Team Meaningful.Travel would get back to you within One working day.
If you are using Gmail, do not forget to check your
spam folder. Put the email in inbox or create a
filter for Meaningful.Travel to stay updated.
If your query is urgent, you may
Email us at :- email@example.com