Discover an exciting veterinary internship program in Ghana by OGVO. Gain hands-on experience in animal care, surgery, and more. Ideal for aspiring veterinarians and animal enthusiasts.
Are you passionate about animals and dream of a rewarding career in veterinary medicine? Our Veterinary Work Experience Internship in Ghana, offered by OGVO, is the perfect opportunity for you. Whether you're a veterinary enthusiast or simply love working with animals, this program will help you hone your skills and gain valuable experience.
What to Expect in Our Veterinary Work Experience Internship:
- Hands-On Learning: You'll actively participate in the day-to-day operations of a veterinary center. Tasks may include animal treatment, administrative support, and post-surgery recovery.
- Skill Enhancement: Your animal care skills will improve as you work alongside experienced professionals.
- Career Boost: If you're aspiring to become a veterinarian, this internship will provide invaluable insights and hands-on experience to further your career goals.
Who Can Join?
- Passionate Animal Lovers: If you have a deep passion for animals, whether in the field of veterinary medicine or general animal care, this program is tailored for you.
- Learning Opportunity: Designed for individuals interested in animals and pursuing a career in veterinary medicine.
- Diverse Experience: Inexperienced vet volunteers/interns will assist in surgical pack sterilization, while experienced veterinarians will perform surgeries under the supervision of licensed host country veterinarians.
- Open to All: Our veterinary program is available to undergraduates, recent graduates on a gap year, and experienced professionals eager to share their knowledge and expertise.
- Day-to-Day Involvement: Collaborate with the veterinary center's regular staff to address animal health care issues.
- Comprehensive Care: Participate in immunizations for parasite management, nutrition supplements, medication administration, and vaccinations for animals.
- Hands-On Practice: Assist in animal examinations, diagnostics, and the treatment of animal patients, both pre and post-surgery.
Ghana presents unique veterinary challenges, making this internship informative and enriching, especially for those considering a career in veterinary medicine.
If you're ready to transform your passion for animals into practical skills and experiences, our Veterinary Work Experience Internship in Ghana is the perfect opportunity for you. Join us today and embark on a fulfilling journey toward a career in veterinary medicine.
Earn international volunteering experience working at a veterinary center in Ghana. Perform a variety of tasks, including administration of medication and vaccines. Learn new skills or improve on existing skills, such as animal examination and treatment. Spend a few weeks in Ghana and explore the local culture while living with a host family. Add to your CV or resume with this great experience.
This program is ideal for
Volunteers who feel affection for animals and whose instincts are always to help them achieve the best of their health. You should be attentive and cooperative as you’d be expected to help veterinarians accomplish animal care tasks. As your tasks will vary based on various factors, you should be open to helping out in any kind of activity that is prioritised while you’re there.
Role and responsibility
You will either work with domestic and farm animals in a nearby veterinary clinic or with livestock on a farm as a veterinary medicine intern. Some duties you may be expected to perform:
- Watch and assist neighborhood vets as they do routine examinations and treatments on the animals.
- Assist with procedures and watch autopsies on domestic or agricultural animals
- Inform the public and farm owners on the proper ways to care for animals.
Observe and help with routine consultations and treatments.
At veterinary clinics or on farm visits, you will accompany veterinarians as they work with the animals, conduct consultations, and determine treatment plans. You can help too, but only under the veterinarian's supervision. If allowed, you can assist with tasks like
- Animal care in general
- Administering medication and immunizations
- Dress injuries
- Testing for diseases
- Placing IVs
Assist with operations and observe autopsies
Depending on your degree of experience, you might be able to help out more directly. You may be able to help by setting up surgical sites and supplies or helping during procedures like sterilizations. On rare occasions, you'll get to observe autopsy or post-mortem operations where you’ll get to determine whether an animal died due to an illness, injury, or some other reason.
Educate on the proper ways to care for animals.
Animal care is not very well understood in Ghana. Many farmers and animal owners choose to not get their livestock or pets treated because they cannot pay the costs. They frequently lack the resources necessary to travel for veterinary care as well.
They either don’t report cases of sick animals or wait until it is too late. The animals may pass away from their ailments if they do not get better on their own. This is why educating the public about proper animal care is important as it will result in decreased mortality rates and help stop the spread of diseases.
Can I use this program as part of a college or university placement?
It is certainly possible to use one of OGVO’s programs as part of your university or college placement. Project staff can sign off any paperwork required by your course tutors. OGVO regularly receives medical, biomedical sciences, psychology, midwifery, dentistry, veterinary and nursing placement students at our projects across Ghana.
Volunteering work per day
Wake up each morning at your host family before eating breakfast, donning your white coat, and grabbing a tro-tro or shared taxi that will take you to the hospital. On your first day, our staff will accompany you to show you the way.
You will work 5 days a week, leaving you two free days (Saturday & Sunday) to explore the area. You’ll work around 4 – 9 hours per day.
At the end of the day, you can head home and enjoy a home-cooked Ghanaian meal with your host family. This is the perfect time to get to know more about their culture. Over the weekends, you can spend time with other volunteers or interns, explore the many historical sites around Cape Coast, or just relax on the beach.
Age – You must be over 16 years of age on the program start date.
Criminal background check
Criminal background check details
This document may be required depending on the placement site.
Yes, volunteers are required to have educational qualifications
Educational qualifications details
Education – Must have a High School/University/College etc. level qualification.
Documents – A Curriculum Vitae/ Résumé must be attached to your application form.
Other Skills – No particular skills are required to volunteer in a Laboratory in Ghana, although any experience will certainly be helpful to you.
Time – Your helping hands will be required on 5 days a week (M-F) from 08:00 - 14:00.
You need to speak English (basic level).
|2 weeks||$560||Equivalent to $40/day|
|3 weeks||$673||Equivalent to $32/day|
|4 weeks||$760||Equivalent to $27/day|
|5 weeks||$878||Equivalent to $25/day|
|6 weeks||$960||Equivalent to $23/day|
|7 weeks||$1088||Equivalent to $22/day|
|8 weeks||$1160||Equivalent to $21/day|
|9 weeks||$1280||Equivalent to $20/day|
|10 weeks||$1360||Equivalent to $19/day|
|11 weeks||$1490||Equivalent to $19/day|
|12 weeks||$1550||Equivalent to $18/day|
24/7 in-country support
Certificate of International Volunteer Service
In-country program orientation
Pre-departure support from your Program Manager
Important things to note
We pride ourselves for our flexibility. Volunteers or interns can arrive any day of the year with advanced notice. You can volunteer or intern for periods of 1 week to 6 months. Extension can be arranged with advanced notice as well.
Please note that the above-shown program fees are only estimated. Our Generation Voluntary Organization will let you know about the final price during your application process.
The deposit is simply to reserve your volunteer placement. Payments are handled by PayPal, our trusted global payment provider. If you don't have a PayPal account, you can also pay using a credit card.
Final Payment (85%)
Your final payment will be agreed upon with OGVO during the application process. Common solutions are either via bank transfer or a cash payment at the project site.
Important Things to Note
- Additional things to budget for include: Visa, flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check, public transport to and from your placement each day, and for returning to the airport when your program finishes.
- Recommended spending money: Volunteers in Ghana generally find US$50 - US$100 to be sufficient for basic weekly expenses.
- A 5% international banking fee is added at the point of payment.
No refund upon no-show or early departure from the program.
Reschedule Program Date
Reschedule or switch programs anytime free of cost. Our Felx Option covers it!
- Filling Fast
- Fill Out
Your Volunteering journey simplified
Select a destination & project.
Apply for free.
Directly talk to us & your selected organisation.
Pay a 15% deposit fee to secure your place at the volunteer program.
That’s it! Get ready to volunteer aboard. We’ll support you every step of the way!
Team Meaningful.Travel would get back to you within One working day.
If you are using Gmail, do not forget to check your
spam folder. Put the email in inbox or create a
filter for Meaningful.Travel to stay updated.
If your query is urgent, you may
Email us at :- email@example.com